Here’s a fun game that you can play with the students in your classroom to get their mental juices going! Begin with a simple whole number like 5. Then start giving the students operations that they should perform in their heads. Use a variety of all four operations and make sure the directions you give will yield whole numbers.
Starting with the number 5….
- Multiply the number by 4 (In their heads, they get the answer 20.)
- Divide the number you get by 2 (In their heads, they get the answer 10)
- Add 14 to the number you get (In their heads, they get the answer 24)
- Divide the number you get by 4 (In their heads, they get the answer 6)
- Subtract 2 from the number you get (In their heads, they get the answer 4)
You can adapt this game to the level of students you have by giving them more directions or larger numbers to work with.
And don’t forget to have all your directions written down otherwise you might not remember after doing several of these games!
Once you've played this with the students a number of times you might allow them to make up a problem for you or split them into teams and let them make up problems for each other.
You can also download the PDF version of this game to file away for later on TeachersPayTeachers
Related Math Games: